International AC 62RC Class

Doug, i see the same bottlenecks as Chris and Eric, a increase of the existing classes will not help to bring the numbers of active sailors up...
But any idea is very welcome to develop the existing classes further plus PR to increase the interests on our activities...

Regards

Rene

GER 530
p.s. no idea what andreas is actual doing, still here present or busy with other things...
======================
Hi, Rene! I emphatically disagree with you, Chris and Eric because the parameters of the existing classes favor the trimaran. The proposed classes are only for catamarans and they have the chance to spark the public imagination because of their potential association with the America's Cup. Many leadbelly classes have been started because of the Americas Cup and now it is finally our opportunity to take advantage of catamarans being part of the AC.
In a class where sail area , beam and length are specified their is an inate design advantage to the trimaran because extra beam can be used effectively on a tri where it can't be on a cat.(within the Mini 40 rules)
As a design example look at my D4Z-it was originally designed as part of the F48 class 15 years ago but when I started on the proto work a few months ago I didn't like the old bows so I added new ones which took the boat out of the F48 class. Since there aren't any F48's or Mini 40's around it didn't matter.
The boat is NOT designed to be an AC 62 or 72 lookalike-it is designed to be an effective catamaran foiler and to do that it MUST use a movable ballast system in winds over 6-8 knots. The "Trapeze Power Ballast System" doubles the righting moment of the boat.​Just the kind of power a foiler needs. In a appearance this thing will look more like a Flying Phantom but that's ok because performance is the key thing. If I did this within the F48 class or the Mini 40 class I would have been limited to .9sqm SA, where now I am using 1.2 times that(1825 sq.in). So, in my opinion it is not possible to design a modern, powered up catamaran foiler within the Mini 40 Class rules. Another thing: the "Trapeze Power Ballast System" overhangs the windward side about 17"(.43m) making the beam of the D4Z at maximum righting moment 65"( 1.65m) ! No way to use this system and the extra sail area it allows within the Mini 40 rule-just not possible.
On rc groups where I first suggested the AC62, a guy from Australia joined in and was building (coincidentally) a cat about 55" LOA and he's actually sailing now trying to get his boat to foil. So he and I agreed on the parameters of a sort of "subclass" called the AC 55RC, that would be like the full size AC 45's are to the AC 62's. And it would allow people with Mini 40 or F48 cats to modify them and be part of this prototype class. The idea of this "subclass" is to relatively inexpensively test foil and rig technology for the International AC 62RC class. Each of us plans on building a 62 down the line when the technology is worked out.
I invite anyone who reads this forum to modify a Mini 40 CAT to be part of the AC 55RC proto development class. The only rules are a length overall of 55"(1.4m) and that the boat must be a CAT-no trimarans. No other restrictions!
If we can work out the problems with a smaller foiling cat the 62 will eventually be a viable racing class and the 55 a viable MAX development class.
Please think about what I've written-I think it is a golden opportunity for RC multihull sailors to be part of something that has the potential to be spectacular!

Doug, thats bullshitting...
i only agreed with Eric and Chris, that a increase of classes will not automaticly increase the numbers of active sailors.
We had here in the net a longlasting negotiation about costs,efforts,capallities, chances with a standart design class longer time ago driven by
Ernst Zeeman...Doug. The result was a disagreement in this forum to comercial interests to concentrate the small potential to one design...
We saw every year the development of the numbers active sailors since 8 to 10 years...,also with the influence of the large production scale low costs multihulls from the chinees production site during the last 2 years...But i pointed out any further improvement in development is welcome.
Doug every classlimitation will limit some development possibility...
I think, what I have negotiated here and in Brombach, do we apply with the classical 3 pointstrikecourses the right thing, or have we to work with more UP and Down courses to get the full perfotmencerange of our boats... ? In remenber: we sail with trimarans and catamarans in the given classes, but with a bid freedom also to the given classroules.In addition to that: I feel moving ballastsystems are depending at very high movingspeeds for our boatsizes... A horizontal pendulumsystem was tested with a good result in connection with a modified submarin stabiisationunit in the 650 class some years ago... But designed for Mini40 size, i expect it was to heavy...I have"d seen it any more.

regards

Rene

Doug, thats bullshitting...
i only agreed with Eric and Chris, that a increase of classes will not automaticly increase the numbers of active sailors.
We had here in the net a longlasting negotiation about costs,efforts,capallities, chances with a standart design class longer time ago driven by
Ernst Zeeman...Doug. The result was a disagreement in this forum to comercial interests to concentrate the small potential to one design...
We saw every year the development of the numbers active sailors since 8 to 10 years...,also with the influence of the large production scale low costs multihulls from the chinees production site during the last 2 years...But i pointed out any further improvement in development is welcome.
Doug every classlimitation will limit some development possibility...
I think, what I have negotiated here and in Brombach, do we apply with the classical 3 pointstrikecourses the right thing, or have we to work with more UP and Down courses to get the full perfotmencerange of our boats... ? In remenber: we sail with trimarans and catamarans in the given classes, but with a bid freedom also to the given classroules.In addition to that: I feel moving ballastsystems are depending at very high movingspeeds for our boatsizes... A horizontal pendulumsystem was tested with a good result in connection with a modified submarin stabiisationunit in the 650 class some years ago... But designed for Mini40 size, i expect it was to heavy...I have"d seen it any more.

regards

Rene

moving ballastsystem...developed from Oliver Bleikertz:

http://youtu.be/4u5_D3kRe6k

International AC 62RC Class / AC 55RC Proto Class

International AC 62RC Class / AC 55RC Proto Class

Just wanted to say Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you that read this forum!

And a couple of shots showing the Ctwist* foil assembled to the daggerboard of the D4Z and the roughed in rudder +rudder foil with a 10 degree droop. These foils are roughed in from a combination of "quickie" molds and F3 molds from years ago. Much cosmetic work left but in the end they will look real good:
* Curved Twisted Surface Piercing T-Foil

Anhänge

• D4Z main foils assembled 12-19-14 001.JPG
    D4Z main foils assembled 12-19-14 001.JPG
    187,6 KB · Aufrufe: 80
  • D4Z main foils assembled 12-19-14 003.JPG
    D4Z main foils assembled 12-19-14 003.JPG
    258,8 KB · Aufrufe: 69
  • D4Z L-rudders 10 degree droop 002.JPG
    D4Z L-rudders 10 degree droop 002.JPG
    192,4 KB · Aufrufe: 84
D4Z / AC 55RC-the "AC45" of the AC 62RC Class

D4Z / AC 55RC-the "AC45" of the AC 62RC Class

The D4Z and the very experimental "Ctwist batfoils" were painted today. Radio and rigging next. Shown with the "Trapeze Power Ballast System" in place but not rigged. 2-3lb of lead in a small cart will slide side to side and fore and aft very quickly. Designed to foil in light air.

D4Z painted 1-30-15 004.JPGD4Z painted 1-30-15 008.jpgD4Z painted 1-30-15 006.jpg

AC 55RC----"Vanganeck-" combination gooseneck and vang

AC 55RC----"Vanganeck-" combination gooseneck and vang

The idea with this is to get the main down as low as possible and seal it against an endplate while still allowing the boom and ballast system to work. The main comes down so low that a normal vang won't work.
Here is a sketch of the basic vanganeck:

D4Z vang-gooseneck.png

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten