Dieter Perlicks neue Carldera R.

Battery size

Battery size

Hello all Caldera freaks...

Anyone with Caldera-R experience could please tell me the "greatest capacity" battery that would fit in this skinny nose? any type, NiMh, LiFe or LiPo...

Thanks!

HV-battery-setup: Konion

HV-battery-setup: Konion

Anyone with Caldera-R experience could please tell me the "greatest capacity" battery that would fit in this skinny nose? any type, NiMh, LiFe or LiPo...

Hi Lagunero

I use two 2000mAh Konion-Accus (2s) and a 100% JR HV-Servo-Equipment.
The size is 18x65mm and one cell weights 43g.

They fit perfectly in the skinny nose.

regards
Kurt

Hello Kurt

Just came back from the slope, had to fly Caldera-S like an Amigo-II in almost calm conditions :cry:...
Thanks a lot for your information and link. I started thinking in MKS, but there is the voltaje problem, which complicates things (servo BEc's usw) Today, before you did your input, I was considering LiFe's A123 (The size you show is perfect and not commonly found) and high voltaje servos , thinking about Robbe/Futaba's, but after your info I'll look and see JR's also (I like both of them). What I need to know finally is the types used in your case to see if they are finally the same that I may choose...

Jose

J/R HV Servos

J/R HV Servos

Hi Jose

I use following J/R-HV-Servos:

Vtail:
DS359HV (ca. 4 kg/cm and 0,16 sec/60° at 7,4 V)
This servo is quite tall (29mm) and fits only very tight under the nose

Alternative:
DS387HV (ca. 2 kg/cm and 0,16 sec/60° at 4,8 V (?))
Height: 21 mm

Wing:
DS189HV (ca. 4 kg/cm and 0,16 sec/60° at 7,4 V)
In rcsolutions.ch frames

Best regards

Kurt

Hi Kurt

Thanks again for your very precise and complete info and help.
Bettter 4 than 2 Kg/cm, but perhaps 2 is more than enough for this V tail... will think it over and slowly, have still time ahead and will use it to optimize the Caldera installation. I think this plane deserves a "no rush" work ;)

Was considering also DS3425HV SPEED as alternative for V tail... 26,5 high, but maybe too expensive alternative...

Will come back to the thread a few times before completion, sure...

Will this one fit or may it be too long?
DS3425HV.png

Cheers
Jose

Chrima

User
Hi Jose

Do not think so !
Please see my photo in 55 ! These are MKS6188.

And as well you have to take into consideration that you will link the servo arm in the innerst hole.
So in fact it gives you more force than only 2 but almost 3kg !

Another idea I was thinking of, was eliminating the rudder function and to install only 1 servo in the nose.
For good and windy conditions it would not be a problem to fly without rudder.

Christian

Hi Christian...
Thanks for your input. Looking at your photo on #55 it is evident that servos have to be really short to fit there. Yours are 23x12x27.3mm (LxBxH), and with 23mm in length they are pretty cramped there (!). Same happens to 6125E 23x12x27.5mm (LxBxH) they are the same in size but 0.2mm higher. It seems that 23mm in length and perhaps 28mm in height is the "maximum" allowable ... unless we see the DS359, very narrow, but 30mm long. Would be interesting to see how those were fitted...

About using just one tail servo, I'm not used to that... I use the rudder quite frequently and independently from ailerons in normal flight (that includes quite a lot of turning) may be useful for pylon turning and for some F3F styles, but not for everybody's taste...

dp-air

User
Einstellung der Produktion

Einstellung der Produktion

Hallo zusammen,

eine wichtige Info für potentielle Interessenten. Zum Jahresende wird die Produktion/der Vertrieb der Caldera durch die Fa. Flyspace beendet.

Eine Folgeregelung gibt es noch nicht.

Gruß

Dieter

Hello Dieter...
That's bad news. I got an order on queue but no answer since I placed the preorder... That means "no Caldera-R" , I suppose:(
On the other hand, I'm awaiting suspiciously long time for a second hand one offered by a member of this forum. Will have to give some "growing powders" to my Caldera-S :)
It's a pity, such a good design ending production too early for some, hope it's not due to health issues...
Best
Jose

Hi All

Again, and shortly before Christmas, my Caldera-R arrived. Sold by someone here but not advertised is almost equal to one in the "Biete" sub forum http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/426611-Neue-Calera-R?highlight=Caldera but by a different seller. It was untouched and with some cosmetic defects. Had to go for it as my order seems to have vanished and production ceased (previous DP Air post). Finally opted for JR HV servo configuration, 2xKonion 2000 and Jeti R6DX. Just a few days work and the Caldera is almost finished, waiting for the Konions to arrive and for the wind to turn either N or S (now is East). Anybody knows anything about those yellow and black "minor defect" calderas showing up here and there?

Have a Merry Christmas and best flights for 2014 !!! ;)
Jose

Hello Jose,
Anybody knows anything about those yellow and black "minor defect" calderas showing up here and there?
I've looked at this Caldera R.
The pin holes are spread over the whole surface. Only very tiny!!!
In order to produce an optimal surface would have to paint the whole wing again.
However, what has prevented me from buying were the sealing lips.
These are in this Caldera R only from tape.
Or is this done in all Caldera R so???

Beautiful model, I would have liked, but in the model me too much work.
I've now just another Viking II ordered.

regards

Andreas

Chrima

User
Hallo Andreas

Nun ja das mit der Dichtlippe ist natürlich schade, aber ob man die Oberflächenfehler im Fluge gespürt hätte ?

Ich hatte dieses Jahr ein einziges Mal 3 Flieger mit oben auf dem Hang. Wechselte nach jedem Flug.

Gewinner in der Disziplin Allround und "Wohlfühl" vorne im Bild ! :)

Nun ja ich wiederhol mich und macht jetzt leider auch nicht mehr viel Sinn zu schwärmen.

Grüsse
Christian

Staffel.JPG
SSL, FS4.3, Caldera R

und Spass war auch...

Hallo Christian,

den Oberflächenfehler hätte ich im Flug nie wahrgenommen. Ab 2-3 m Entfernung fallen die Pinholes auch nicht mehr auf.
Aber ich hätte mindestens den Wölbklappen eine Anformung aus Mumpe o.d.g. verpassen müssen. Und das bei einem neuen Flieger für den mal 1k€ aufgerufen wurde.
Dein Schwärmen hat mit Sicherheit zu meinem "Caldera hätte - ich gern- Virus" beigetragen.
Aber wer weis, kommt Zeit.....

Viele Grüße

Andreas

My sealing lips are not tape, they are rigid profiles and work well. Tape lips are not a bad thing if they are well done. Also no lips here are no sacrilege; in fact, the small brother Caldera-S has no sealing lips at all and flyes really fast and well; it's a top flyer if you want a very high mean flying speed with excellent response to high wing loadings. It's behavior made me go for the bigger brother (R) and hope it does not dissapoint me.

Just wanted to know who is making them now as production seems to have ceased by Flyspace. Looking at the excellent job of Fineworx in the Caldera-S it would be nice to have Caldera-R done also by them... but just thinking "loud" :)

Soon this one will be in the air, let's then see what has been brewed here...

Merry Christmas all and happy Caldera-R 2014 !!

dp-air

User
Caldera-R

Caldera-R

Hi @ all

nur so am Rande, alle meine Modelle haben "nur" Dichtlippen aus Tesafilm. Es gibt damit überhaupt keinerlei Probleme. Für mich ein Riesenvorteil ist -da kann sich nichts am Flügel verhaken. Deswegen habe ich schon Modelle einschlagen sehen, weil QR oder Wölbklappe blockierten!

Ansonsten wartet mal auf 2014. Es ist noch zu früh für mehr Infos, aber es wird wohl einen Folgeproduzenten geben, der einige der bereits ausführlich diskutierten bisherigen Probleme nicht erwarten lässt. Anfang nächsten Jahres gibt es sicherlich weitere Infos. Also abwarten. Fragen werde ich vorher nicht beantworten.

Schöne Weihnachtsfeiertage

Dieter

Thanks a lot, that's very good news Dieter; so better wait till new producer is announced to get a reinforced version for hard slope work :)

Good to know about the tesa philosophy, easy and safe. Probably I will change mines for tesa if I see any slight sign of problems, or even, not use any if the resulting gap is acceptable (very good results in the Caldera-S, and got used to it already).

One Question for Caldera-R owners.. does a version with balsa/GfK version exist? or are all balsa/CfK?

Cheers
Jose

Caldera-R almost ready

Caldera-R almost ready

This must be the Southest European Caldera-R.
Today was rollout and range test as wind in our Teneriffa slope was blowing parallel to it, so no flight was posible. Hope weather changes in a couple of days. Feels really light unballasted in the hand.

11468183766_2eff842891_c.jpg

First flight took place today. CG was 94mm and must go baaack, other impressions, very good indeed. An excellent flyer indeed, as already said by everyone here! :)

Day was cool with gusty and turbulent wind 45º to the slope, not the best for a maiden fligt, but Caldera-R behaved quite well.

11478982516_0406e16812_o.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality and aberrations, was the Handy front camera...

Chrima

User
Congratulations José ! :)

Finally it gets some colour here in this thread !
Maybe we could get one more photo from an orange one !? Could we not Kurt ?

Greets
Chrima

Sorry - no photo - but a short video

Sorry - no photo - but a short video

Maybe we could get one more photo from an orange one !? Could we not Kurt ?

@Chrima

I'm so sorry - my orange Caldera R is not ready to be shown on a photograph - but if you like: enjoy my short Video (Caldera R at very light conditions)

My Caldera has already been flown in the swiss Championship 2013 - but the limiting factor was the Pilot ;)

link to the Video

Best regards
Kurt

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten